Currently laminate floors are quite popular because they give a house an air of glamour and affluence. Laminate floors are inexpensive, easy to install and can last up to 25-years. Because of this, care must be taken when they are used.
You can even clean laminate flooring with a simple broom but harsh chemicals and detergents can damage laminate flooring and your floor wouldn’t last long for 25 years.
There are a variety of tools available for cleaning laminate floors but we would suggest a steam mop as the best method. There are a number of reasons why we recommend a steam mop:
- A lightweight steam mop is easy to carry and maneuver.
- Embedded dirt and semi-permanent stains are easily removed with a little steam.
- A steam mop will not only give you a clean laminate floor but it will also make the floor 99.9% bacterial-free, keeping your house safe for your children.
- Normally, people bring muddy shoes into the house, which ruin the laminate floor, in this case a steam mop is of great help.
- The steam mop can also remove toddler and pet waste with no problem.
- With a steam mop, the laminate floor can be cleaned frequently and it can be moved beneath furniture.
How to Clean Laminate Floor using Steam Mop
The following steps should be taken into consideration when using a steam mop:
- Clean the pad and install it.
- Fill the water tank to its fullest capacity.
- Plug the switch of the cord into the wall.
- Usually it takes only 30 seconds to warm the water tank as it is a quick process.
- Heave up the trigger to produce steam. Wait until steam starts rising.
- Now your steam mop is ready. Using steam, mop your laminate floor. It will take all the dirt off.
- The steam mops are almost the same in operation. First, assemble the steam mop it usually comes with a 3 part mop, steamer, and pads.
Precaution measures while cleaning a laminate floor
In addition to all these factors, there are several other things which should be considered while cleaning a laminate floor with a steam mop.
- You should use distilled water instead of tap water because tap water can cause serious damage.
- Do not leave a steam mop unattended especially when it is producing steam since steam will damage your laminate floor if it moves under the plank.
- Steam should only be used on a low setting and at maximum speed on black and semi-permanent supports; this precaution will help to protect the laminate’s core.
- Never use a dirty pad – it will ruin your cleaning. Use microfiber pads and wash them frequently.
- You can only use the steam mop to clean the laminate floor twice a week or when you want to deep clean the whole house.
How to clean Laminate floor without streaking
Usually, laminate flooring is installed for long-term use. Laminate flooring has planks inside and the core layer prevents it from streaking, however, negligence while cleaning will cause a streak and wipe off the color. However, certain factors can also cause streaks and scratches. For instance, if your Laminate wooden floor is exposed to sunlight throughout the day, it will develop streaks.
Following are some tips that can be used to clean laminate floors without streaking.
Use Steam mop
Never mop a laminate floor with a standard mop, instead use a best steam mop. Conventional mops cannot fully clean the wooden surface since they leave behind the dirt and grime, which results in streaking. Instead, use a good steam mop like Bissell, Hoover or Shark. They will not only make your cleaning quick but will also take off all the dirt, grime, and spots.
Usage of Microfiber pads
Choose your pads sensibly because they matter to a great extent. Rather than using spongy, dirty, and rough pads, try using microfiber pads that are soft and don’t cause streaking on the laminate floor. Scratches and streaks occur due to the rough surface of spongy pads.
Precision use of water
When cleaning, make sure your steam mop is spinning the water. Do not let the water stand on the laminate floor for long; it will change the color and create streaks. Further, if you practice using less water while cleaning laminate floors, you will be able to clean them without streaks.
Steam setting and Alcohol solution
Continuous exposure to steam on a single spot will eliminate a laminate floor’s shine, long-lasting capacity, and produce streaks.
To remove streaks from laminate floors, you can use different methods like adding alcohol and vinegar to the water tank of the steam mop. This method is very effective when it comes to removing streaks.
In case your laminate floor is being used, but it has not been cleaned, it will lose radiance and automatically get streaks and fade the color. Thus, it is important to clean it on a regular basis at least once a week. However, frequent cleaning like 6 times a week can ruin it. Therefore, it is better to clean once a week.
Harsh Chemicals and polish
Streaks on laminate floors are often caused by harsh chemicals, oil soaps, tap water-heavy detergents, and abrasive tools. These products can be extremely dangerous to laminate floors.
It’s a good idea to use hot distilled water as it gives an unrivaled steam that removes dirt, grease, and bacteria easily, just like this it will help you clean laminate floors without streaking.